Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Valdesalor to Caceres

With a relatively short distance today,  6 miles to Caceres, I slept in till 7:30 and Beverly and I grabbed a cafe con leche and tostado before leaving Valdesalor. Even starting late,  we made Caceres before noon.

One possible reason for the absence of reflection is that Beverly sets quite the pace.  We did about 6 miles in 2 hours.  Once we entered Caceres, we slowed it down.

First,  it is a big city and we had lots of intersections to negotiate. Second,  for whatever reason,  here the trail is not marked inside the city.
Third, we had lots to look at as we made our way to the albergue.

So far it looks like Beverly and I will have the room ( holds six ) to ourselves.  Always a good thing because of snorers.

I discussed with her that tomorrow that I will slow myself down.  I normally hike at about 2 1/4 miles per hour.  The way it works out here is that there is no expectation for one to have to walk faster or slower than their natural pace. This simply means that she will reach the next albergue about an hour before me.

Got the usual chores done.  Made my way to the market to buy some snacks,  got to an atm for money,  and got my clothes washed.

Even given the absence of excitement and relatively unchanging scenes,  I feel good out here.  It's me and the elements ... me and the Via ... me and whatever less ahead.  Once something has happened,  be it getting lost or rained on or the sometimes incessant aloneness ( it is not loneliness ) ... Once it is over,  it ceases to have meaning.  How different from the every day concerns of modern life.


Today's photos

Came across this handsome boy on the way this a.m.  After seeing that he was quite friendly,  we relaxed and he accompanied us for about 1/2 mile.  He wanted petting,  sticks thrown to chase and probably snacks.  Well kept,  he clearly belonged to somebody.


Later a shepard ( in a truck ) brought his flock down the trail.


The garden in our albergue which is in the Heritage District.


No comments:

Post a Comment