Thursday, October 1, 2015

48 hrs Before The Trip Begins

A Middle of the Night Sonnet

(More reflections on the end of my 2014 stage)
( Via De La Plata - 2014 (Stage 1) )

The bus takes me back thru the sloping hills,
After days spent climbing them on the trail,
There's little time for thought while returning,
Instead of days I had for reflection.

Background

Less than 48 Hours Before I Board the Plane

Had one last afternoon with the grandkids. Adriana and Jayden make me feel so happy and alive. I will miss being with them while I make my camino, but as important as they are to me, as much as they fill my life with purpose, I must now undertake my personal journey and continue the self-discovery.

One can only learn so much about themselves thru others. One must also learn about themselves by being only with  themselves. That's a pretty oblique way of talking, more specifically about myself.

All the 'roads', all the 'paths', all the 'trails' have led me to continue on the Via De La Plata. More than the well-known Camino Frances and the Camino Norte, the Via offers solitude, but not loneliness. It offers time for personal discovery and exploration; much less opportunity for social amicability. The Via is the trail for those (me) who (like introverts) need to recharge by being away from it all, who need to replenish by 'dining and drinking' alone, who can only move forward by taking our own steps at our own pace in our own way on the paths that we choose.

My bags are packed. I'm ready to go.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you well on your journey. I can close my eyes and imagine the hot sun and crunch of boot on trail. Shared pictures and video won't capture the smells of food, flora, and the air or the tactile sensation of the breezes - those will forever remain private. That said, I'm also looking forward to seeing lots of 'selfies' of you and the compadres you'll meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go get it POPS....Thinking of you, hope for the best for you and have an awesome experience. Love ya. Your son.

    ReplyDelete