Thursday, October 15, 2015

Caceres to Canaveral

Today was the day from hell. Things just kept cascading from bad to worse. Fortunately I had Beverly along,  actually she was usually in front.  

The day started good.  We got out of Caceres on time and with a nice Spanish breakfast. 

Our first stop was Casar de Caceres. We found a bar on the main drag and stopped for cafes con leche. I needed something more substantive so I asked the bartender for a plate of ham and cheese.  Well,  it took awhile for the food.  I was getting impatient but I held my tongue and I am glad that I did.  I told myself that in Spain,  eating is an occasion. The bartender didn't just grab some stuff from the refrigerator.  He prepared an elegant looking sampler of Spanish ham ( the premier ham ), sliced cheese portions and fresh bread. Had I been the ugly American, it would have been unfortunate. 

By now we had been hiking about 2.5 hours so Beverly and I hit the road as we still had over 12 miles to go.  Something about the afternoon turned into a slog. Our goal was an albergue along a reservoir by 3:30. We weren't even close. 

The sun was out all day in full force.  The Via was rerouted due to construction,  adding perhaps an additional mile. On the last third,  I picked up a blister.  Then I had a fall and small gashed my right elbow. I field dressed it and pressed on in the never ending sun. Running low on water,  I was hoarding what little I had.  I still had miles to go. 

With less than a mile,  I saw Beverly walking back to me without her backpack. This could not be good. Beverly approached and said,  "This is a test of your patience and serenity. "  With a smile. The albergue was closed and the next one was 6 miles down the road.  We were both exhausted and beat down. 

We figured out a plan,  called an albergue in the next town and arranged a pickup.  By 6 pm,  very late for our plans we finally could begin to settle down. 

My cold, mixed salad never tasted so good,  as did those 2 beers and 2 Cokes in Canaveral.


No comments:

Post a Comment