Sunday, October 18, 2015

Rio Lobos to Carcaboso

Straight forward 12 mile hike today.  We needed to get here to stage properly for tomorrow's hike,  which is allegedly 38 km or approx 23 miles.  That is the recommended stage,  but that is out of the question. I need to find a way to break that up.

Beverly and I have a plan.  It's not what I want, but this is a learning moment.  We have 1) a 24 mile hike to get to Aldeanueva, and 2) the weather is predicted to be horrible ( storms ). Given those facts, I will have to break 2 steps into three.

We are on the plains now,  and combined with the changing pressure system from the storm,  we faced a constant wind of like 30 mph. Many times the wind was strong enough to blow us of the road.

We raced a storm system to get here.  Made it and stayed dry.  Shortly after we got here,  the rain started.  The weather report for tomorrow is gruesome.

Galisteo: passed thru this beautiful town today
Galisteo is a beautiful walled city, and even tho' it was off our path,  it was worth it to divert there to stop and get a coffee before continuing on.

After meeting a few new peregrinos in the albergue in Carcaboso, it allowed me to compare notes. After nice conversation, I headed out to get something to eat. Being Spain and 6 p.m., nothing was open.

So I checked out how to get out of town,  so as to not have to figure it out in the morning. While in the process, I heard the church bells ring,  so I asked a lady if there was a mass.  She kindly offered to drive me to the church.  Funny story here.  At the church,  I asked the priest for a prayer book to follow the mass.  Because I said that I could read Spanish,  he offered me to read the first reading to the congregation.  Not what I meant by read Spanish.  Lol.

Walled city of Galisteo as seen from a Roman bridge on the outskirts of the town.


Remnants of a rainbow over a Roman bridge. ( Galisteo )

Another photo of a rarity. In this case, a grove along the road side.


The storm clouds that we were racing against. Rained around us but not where we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment