Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A Moment in Time

For both times on the El Camino, I have walked 440 km or 265 miles which is about 44 per cent of the total pilgrimage.


Today I checked the stats for  this time on the El Camino. I have   hiked 188 miles ( 313 km ) over 15 days, with two of those days being rest days.

That actually means hiking on 13 of the 15 days.

Using 15 days as the average that comes out - 12.5 miles per day.

Using 13 days for the average, that is 13 days of actual hiking, comes to 14.5 miles per day.

The goal was always fluid and I need to accept that as a person,  I am always moving the goalposts.  I've had a good Camino. In fact, I am already farther than I thought I might get.

But being a Type A person,  once something is done, it doesn't count.  What matters is the next goal. So I should enjoy what I have accomplished.

Things that hiking with Beverly brought back to the forefront of my thinking:

  • Take it one day at a time.  There's always tomorrow. 
  • Set my pace and go.
  • Don't let others steer me in ways that I don't want to go. 
  • Be adventurous. 
  • Sleep in. 
  • Eating is always good on a hike. 
  • Rain is good but be prepared. 
  • Take time out to explore what is around. 

My wonderful granddaughter called me the other afternoon to see how I was doing.  That always makes a grandpa smile.

=====================
Total completed on El Camino. Started in Sevilla. Now under blue dot, west of Madrid. Final destination is Santiago in northwest Spain. That will be for the next trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment