Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Alcuescar to Valdesalor

The profound explorations of my life have pretty much stopped out here.  Perhaps I have made my discoveries,  or that I am now in search of a different set of norms with which to give my life.

Maybe it is time for adjustment rather than change ( or chance ).
Or it could be that I am still looking for something which I don't even know I need or want.


  • Walking the El Camino is exactly for these kinds of questions.  For my friends who are settled in their lives and don't understand the wandering,  I am truly happy for you.  For my friends who need their own personal El Camino don't hesitate.  Start.  You will never be the same again. 


Beverly finally talked me last night into attempting a 17 mile hike today. Well, we did it. I was so relieved to reach Valdesalor.

I had to convince myself that the goal was achievable. More importantly, by setting the goal then I felt compelled to achieve the goal. Had I set a goal of a lesser distance, then allowed for adding additional mileage, I probably would have stopped halfway.

I am paying a price right now. Hip joints are sore, upper quads are tight & I feel the start of a blister on my left foot.

I have not yet decided on my plan for tomorrow. But it is only 4 miles to Casares. Not sure yet whether to spend the day, or continue onwards. It's not that the distance drives the schedule but that the distance between villages drives the schedule.

I have the possibility of staying in Casares to observe some ancient Roman antiquities. Or I have the possibility of continuing the hike onward. Regardless the second stop from now is approximately 13 miles in length.

So no matter how I cut it, I have another long hike coming up when the various stages are added together.

The scenery is pretty much the same day after day: ranches of cows and sheep,  olive groves and vineyards.

So here are today's pictures.

The only shade tree that I have seen in a week. Possibly the only shade tree I will see here for some time.

Just a bit of the trail.

Valdesalor under a blue sky and billowing clouds.

1 comment:

  1. More questions than answers... Sounds like quite a journey you are on and who knows what you will discover by the end.

    ReplyDelete